Thursday, September 15, 2011

Slow is Julian

I stopped into Julian on a beautiful sunny day for a late lunch. The restaurant was empty, but the patio was full! As we were seated, I observed the restaurant is a lovely setting in Brookside. However, I was quickly shocked to see only Ms. Tio herself, and one other staff member serving tables. Tio was in her full chef garb, and I believe that she was quite possibly not only serving, but also cooking. I immediately became nervous that my quick lunch might turn into a ‘slow food movement' experience. By the time the waitress came around to take our drink order after waiting for about 15 minutes, we were ready to order everything. I ordered the house smoked salmon. It was on top of what appeared to be brioche French toast, with a cream sauce and fresh chives. Let me just say that it was worth some of the wait. The fish was delicate and flavorful. Perfect for the light lunch I was hoping for.
My sister ordered a sandwich and French fries. I am a huge fan of crispy fries, but these were burnt. However, her sandwich was also lovely she says.

I am torn. The food was delicious, but an hour and a half lunch for one small plate is not my idea of relaxing. In fact it was quite stressful as we waited and waited to be taken care of. I may give Julian one more try simply because of my dish, but I would advise Chef Tio to either close up and not offer lunch, or staff up to make sure it is a good experience.

$9 for my salmon entrée and iced tea, a good value

3/5 stars

Julian on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment