Monday, February 7, 2011

Perfect Italian Sandwich

I stopped into Pandolfi's Deli in Columbus Park today on a whim. It was my second visit, and turned out to be vastly superior to my first visit.

First, though the building is very old, they have managed to nearly extinguish the musty scent I noted upon my first visit.

My memory really did not do the food justice. I ordered the #3, an Italian cold cut trio of mortadella, capicolla and salami.

First, the bread was perfectly authentic this time. Crusty without being painful to eat. Drizzled with just the right amount of balsamic vinegar to add flavor without sogginess.  The meats were fresh and spicy. The lettuce was crunchy, obviously very fresh, and the tomato was perfect.

I think I detected a slight garlic scent in the olive oil. I could be imaginging it, but nevertheless, it was delicious.

I savored every bite of my sandwich, and found myself wishing I had ordered a cannoli.

My one complaint would be the price. Although the sandwich is perfect, I could get an excellent trio from Carollo's for about 30% less.

I paid over $10 for the sandwich and a fountain drink. I will likely continue to visit Pandolfi's for a change of pace occasionally. If the price was a better value, I would likely be a weekly visitor. However, cost being what it is, my visits will still be infrequent at best.

4/5 stars - would be higher if they lowered their price by about $1.50 or $2.00

Pandolfi's Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment